Friday, February 20, 2009

My First Book Review "Intertwined"

To say that I like knitting books is the understatement of the century. I have so many, much to my husband's chagrin, that stacks and piles cover our bedroom since I long ago moved beyond our one bookshelf. He trips on them and tries not to swear at me under his breath. Yes, I am also not great at organization, which doesn't help the clutter between my book stash and yarn stash I really do have to respect the man's patience. And perhaps justifying that kind of clutter is part of the reason I will be reviewing both books from my collection and new releases that I have had my grubby little knitter fingers on. The first review will be "Intertwined" by Lexi Boeger.

When I first began spinning, it was ecstasy. I loved it. It was so fun and a new revelation in knitting. It was another level of understanding that I uncovered as I spun each new fiber. It was so personal and fascinating that the same collection of materials could yield such different results. Now my daughter puts her feet on top of mine and her fingers follow the same motion as mine. Her eyes glitter as she watches the wheel turn. Already, she get it. So does Lexi Boeger. The author has a passion and creativity that she spins into her yarns that is rare and special. As a reader, you feel like you are being passed a secret with each tidbit. The book is filled with new experiences for even intermediate spinners. Even if some techniques do not yield results you may desire, you will spin better if you give each new technique thought. Spinning is another form of artistic expression, and the book does properly pay tribute to this fact.

The patterns for handspun yarns are surprisingly wearable for the most part. I liked that there were several designs for children. I think children's patterns have the right amount of whimsy for children, and as a mother I know that kids LOVE it when you make them stuff. I would have like more patterns for the handspuns, but was pleased with the selection.

If you like spinning, this book is a must. It is written under the assumption that you already know how to spin, yet if you could only get one spinning book this is the one. Other spinning books contain information you could find easily online, this book contains substantially more.

No comments:

Post a Comment