Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Experiments in dyeing


After much experimenting, and dyeing, and oh my, redyeing. I have discovered some trends.

If you are dyeing for a deeper toned, semi solid, kettle-dyed is definitely the way to go. You can layer other colors in the kettle with the main color for a more tonal semi-solid.

I have also done alot of the Rainbow dyeing. That is where you have 3 colors in the pot (each color being a third) they have have to be colors that can mix into eachother where the colors meet. After many trials, I have decided this is my least favorite method, while it is much less effort than hand-painting, the look that hand-painting creates is much more unique and interesting.

I have done alot of dyeing over the weekend (my work weekend anyway), and I think the results are pretty awesome. It was my first time dyeing a really nice SW Merino roving, and they are definitely more delicate than I am used to, but the colors turned out stunning! I am thrilled!

I am an official cake decorator now. Yeah, I got a promotion in 40 days, so "just a housewife" that! Sorry to boast, I have had a rough few months, and succeeding just feels really good.

I saw some things on Etsy and I think it is Nuno felting. I must learn it. I have to make one of these gorgeous scarves. Please comment if you know anything about it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment